Wednesday 17 February 2010

Poetry Course / Writing Holiday / Writers' Retreat with Phil Bowen in Andalucia, Spain


Those of you who know me well will be aware I disappear to Andalucia, Spain from time-to-time to rest, recuperate and write. I stay at Vacas Gordas (or Fat Cows) Guest House. It's where most of my prose and much of my poetry has been written over the last five years.

My testimonial is quoted on their new website:

"A few years ago, I searched the Internet for a hideaway where I could escape the demands of my working life and devote myself to my chosen practice - writing poetry and fiction. By chance, I blundered across http://www.fatcows.net/, booked a trip, and have been coming back ever since, sometimes for a few days, often a few weeks. There are no distractions but the landscape, which is arresting, and the weather, which rarely lets you down. The accommodation is simple but soulful and the hospitality friendly but respectful of purpose. The food and drink the best that the region has to offer, lovingly prepared and presented. For days on end I do nothing but walk, think, read and write. I have a book coming out in 2010 with two more in the pipeline, and most of the creative work was done here in Andalucia, where the mountains meet the sea. Whatever your reason for retreat, alone or in a group, you will find refuge and reinvigoration at Cortijo Vacas Gordas".  Damian Furniss, February 2010

It's good to hear that Phil Bowen, a past guest on The Blah Blah Blah Show, is running a creative writing course there this autumn, focusing on poetry.

23 - 30 October 2010
Yoga hallA Fresh Look and A Fresh Listen

A sharply focused 4/5 day poetry-driven creative writing course designed to enliven, enlarge and enlighten. Through challenging yet approachable and time-honoured exercises, the course is guaranteed to free up hitherto dormant source material and be both stimulating and highly enjoyable. Free time for relaxation and visits. Course led by Phil Bowen - poet, performer, biographer and playwright.

Cost is about £100 per day all-inclusive of accommodation, food and drink and tuition.

Enquiries welcome, some places still available.


the venue is also perfect for retreats alone, in a couple, or a small group. Rates for B&B and fully catered accommodation are quoted on the website.

Flybe has regular flights from Exeter to Malaga. 

No comments:

Post a Comment